Markaudio Alpair-7 4″ Full Range Grey Color Cone with Excursion Arrestor
- Link to MarkAudio PDF Enclosure Plans
- Link to Markaudio Webite Construction Plans
- Link to Planet10-hifi/Frugal-phile Website Construction Plans
The Alpair 7A Gen. 3 represents a large step forward in the design and production of “extended” full range audio drivers. In its size class, this Alpair 7 currently delivers the widest frequency range*. The usable range now extents to 32-kHz above 80dB. Thatʼs higher than many tweeters!
This Alpair 7 has an advanced damping system such that it delivers a “near flat” response across its range. The Alpair 7 employs a rear ring-clamped suspension system and a new torque loaded rear suspension (spider). Both these components add pre-tension to the power-train. The result is improved linearity and damping on the moving components.
The rear magnet cover can be removed. The cover’s magnetic attraction keeps it attached to the main driver body. Simply pull away from the driverʼs main body, no tools are needed to do this job. Removal helps those box makers who design shallow cabinets or wish to optimise internal box volumes. The performance change with the cover removed is small, so the installation choices for the end user is optimal. The frameʼs front cover is also made removable. While we recommend its use, the frameʼs diameter is minimised to 130-mm, helping those who want to make slimmer box designs.
The acoustic performance of this driver is solidly placed in the “purist-audiophile” category. Its cone and power-train are the most micro-resonance sensitive made by Markaudio to date. With the rear and front covers attached, the driver has a SPL of near 86dB while retaining an X-max of +4-mm available for peak non-rhythmic bass loads. In a optimised box design, the system can be made capable of operating from 40-Hz to 32-kHz, possibly a unique performance for a simple cone driver in its size and class. The off axis responses and central stereo image emitted from this Alpair 7 generation 3 are possibly best in class. Its cone profile and under-hung front suspension allow for a clean wide acoustic image, making it easier to optimise box positioning in most listening environments.
The Alpair 7 Gen. 3 is near unique (if not totally unique). Its range, near flat response and special design features set it apart from other full-range driver of similar size.
- Two colour choices, gun-metal grey and classic gold.
- Drivers are packed with 2mm thick seals and 4 X 22-mm long Hex head wood screws.
- Handling: Donʼt touch the cone or cap. These are delicate components.
- Running in period The Alpair 7 has advanced suspensions that require careful running in: Donʼt use any kind of artificially generated sound signal. Hours 1 to 20. Low volume vocal and light music, no heavy bass. Hours 21 to 120, gradually increase the volume to normal listening levels and gently introduce rhythmic bass music. Patience and care will bring musical rewards.
- Excursion Arrestor sounds when exceeding excursion limits.